Cool off with a sweet treat that won’t break the calorie bank. Introducing: Dark Chocolate Covered Banana Coins.
Fruit is a much healthier alternative to ice cream, popsicles, and other high calorie, high sugar frozen desserts. Fruit provides natural sugar, helping to satisfy your sweet tooth, while also supplying many essential vitamins and minerals. Make it frozen fruit, and now you really have something to cool off with.
Bananas provide potassium and fiber while dark chocolate is an antioxidant and contains flavanols, which help reduce blood pressure, improve blood flow to the heart, prevent blood clots, and promote overall heart health. You can easily swap out the banana for strawberries or pineapple or prepare this recipe using a combination of all three fruits. This recipe is super easy to make and is one the entire family will enjoy both making and eating.
Moderation is key with sweet treats, even healthier alternatives. Be sure to enjoy these delicious frozen desserts in a small but satisfying amount. 1 serving size = 4 pieces.
- 2 ripe but firm bananas (peeled)
- 2 cups of dark chocolate chips
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Slice the banana into 1 inch thick coins. Line a tray with non-stick parchment or wax paper and lay the slices evenly onto the tray. Place the tray in the freezer for about 1 hour until the bananas are frozen solid.
2. Place the dark chocolate chips and vegetable oil in either a small microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Microwave for 30 second increments, stirring each time. Repeat this process until the chocolate is melted down and smooth. Set the chocolate aside to cool (do not place in the refrigerator).
3. Take the bananas out of the freezer. Set each banana slice onto a fork and, using a spoon, drizzle the cooled dark chocolate onto each side. Ensure the chocolate is coated evenly on all sides. Let any excess chocolate drip off before setting the slice down on parchment or waxed paper. Immediately put the slices back in the freezer and freeze for an additional 30 minutes until the chocolate sets.
4. Enjoy some now or store in an airtight container. Slices can last up to a week.