Tag: healthy recipe
Scrambles are the perfect edition to your meal options. Not only are they full of healthy protein and packed with essential vitamins and minerals, but they allow for full creativity in the kitchen.
Scrambles can be eaten any time of the day. They are not just limited to eggs or egg whites, but can also be prepared using tofu instead. Add your favorite vegetables and spices to give it your own flare and boom you are done in 10 minutes! Scrambles are a suitable dish for all cooking skill levels and are a perfect option when trying to use up any leftover produce. Not to mention, they are easy on the wallet.
Try this delicious recipe for a vegan-friendly tofu scramble. Feel free to add more vegetables/spices or change any of the options listed below to fit your taste preference. You can easily swap out the tofu for 4 eggs, or 8 egg whites, or a combo for both.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
- 1/2 package of firm or extra firm tofu (approximately 7-7.5 oz)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Water (to thin)
- 1/4 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 cup kale or spinach (loosely chopped)
- 1 cup of broccoli florets (chopped)
- Drain the tofu until it is very dry. A good trick is to place the tofu under paper towels then place something heavy on top (like a pot or pan) for about 15-20 minutes. Change out the paper towels when saturated.
- While the tofu is draining, prepare your marinade by adding the dry spices to a small bowl with just enough water to make a pourable sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and broccoli. Cook about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the kale (or spinach) for 2 minutes until it is slightly wilted.
- While the veggies are cooking, use a fork, your hands, or a potato masher to crumble the tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the tofu to the skillet and sauté for 2 minutes. Next, pour your marinade mostly over the tofu and a little over the veggies. Stir immediately, making sure it is evenly distributed. Cook for another 5 minutes until the tofu is slightly browned. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.